How to Make Success a Self-Fulfilling Prophecy
Picturing success will increase your optimism and increase your confidence, which will then help you out.
Let’s say you’re a recent graduate and you’re trying to find a job and you’re trying to reach your dream career. There are a few ways that magical thinking can help you out. So for instance, the law of attraction, or positive visualization, picturing where you want to be, will keep you focused and it will keep you motivated and energized. It will keep you optimistic.
Picturing success will increase your optimism and increase your confidence, which will then help you out. If you go into a job interview, you’ll be more confident and that will show and you will be more likely to get the job. It will become a self-fulfilling prophecy.
Also, if you set a big goal for yourself, if you see it as your calling, if you feel like you were meant to be here in order to achieve this goal, it will give you an extra kick in the pants. You’ll see any roadblocks as just bumps in the road and then you’ll pursue your goal with more heart and more persistence.
In Their Own Words is recorded in Big Think's studio.
Image courtesy of Shutterstock
Upstreamism advocate Rishi Manchanda calls us to understand health not as a "personal responsibility" but a "common good."
- Upstreamism tasks health care professionals to combat unhealthy social and cultural influences that exist outside — or upstream — of medical facilities.
- Patients from low-income neighborhoods are most at risk of negative health impacts.
- Thankfully, health care professionals are not alone. Upstreamism is increasingly part of our cultural consciousness.
The real Game of Thrones might be who best leverages the hit HBO show to shape political narratives.
- Sen. Elizabeth Warren argues that Game of Thrones is primarily about women in her review of the wildly popular HBO show.
- Warren also touches on other parallels between the show and our modern world, such as inequality, political favoritism of the elite, and the dire impact of different leadership styles on the lives of the people.
- Her review serves as another example of using Game of Thrones as a political analogy and a tool for framing political narratives.
A new study shows that some men's reaction to sex is not what you'd expect, resulting in a condition previously observed in women.
- Climate change is no longer a financial problem, just a political one.
- Mitigating climate change by decarbonizing our economy would add trillions of dollars in new investments.
- Public attitudes toward climate change have shifted steadily in favor of action. Now it's up to elected leaders.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.