How Do You Know You Have a Great Relationship?
Ask each person individually who benefits more from the relationship.
I have a great marriage. I’ve been married 31 years. And I have thought a lot about how you make a great marriage. How do you make great partnerships? How do you make great friendships?
To me, the highest honor in life is friendship and marriage and partnership. And your friends saying you’re a friend. I had a great mentor who once said to me, “You know what the definition of a great friendship is? A great partnership in life? A great mentorship? If you ask each person individually who benefits more from the relationship? Each person independently says the other person is so great that I do.”
That’s how you know when you have a great one.
60 Second Reads is recorded in Big Think's studio.
Image courtesy of Shutterstock
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
Even some teachers suffer from anxiety about math.
I teach people how to teach math, and I've been working in this field for 30 years. Across those decades, I've met many people who suffer from varying degrees of math trauma – a form of debilitating mental shutdown when it comes to doing mathematics.
She met mere mortals with and without the Vatican's approval.
- For centuries, the Virgin Mary has appeared to the faithful, requesting devotion and promising comfort.
- These maps show the geography of Marian apparitions – the handful approved by the Vatican, and many others.
- Historically, Europe is where most apparitions have been reported, but the U.S. is pretty fertile ground too.
The legacy of Felix Dzerzhinsky, who led Soviet secret police in the "Red Terror," still confounds Russia.
- Felix Dzerzhinsky led the Cheka, Soviet Union's first secret police.
- The Cheka was infamous for executing thousands during the Red Terror of 1918.
- The Cheka later became the KGB, the spy organization where Russia's President Putin served for years.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.