Don't Let Goals Get in the Way of Opportunities
Nitin Nohria: If you make others around you feel that you took the best advantage of every opportunity you were given, I promise you, you will get more opportunity in the future.
People get very goal-fixated. If you decide from the first day that you are going to have this plan for how to get to the top, you may end up in fact, not being open to the right opportunity that might come to you.
If people see you as being overly-obsessed with racing to the top, they may not in fact give you the opportunities that allow you to get to the top. So I would say to them, "Do the work that you’ve been given at each moment in the best way possible. Remain open-minded about the possibilities and opportunities that will come to you. Don’t live always with the end in mind. At least think hard about what you can contribute every time you are given an opportunity. And if you keep doing that, if you create value and if you make others around you feel that you took the best advantage of every opportunity you were given, I promise you, you will get more opportunity in the future."
60 Second Reads is recorded in Big Think's studio.
Image courtesy of Shutterstock
The controversy around the Torah codes gets a new life.
- Mathematicians claim to see a predictive pattern in the ancient Torah texts.
- The code is revealed by a method found with special computer software.
- Some events described by reading the code took place after the code was written.
Pfizer's partnerships strengthen their ability to deliver vaccines in developing countries.
- Community healthcare workers face many challenges in their work, including often traveling far distances to see their clients
- Pfizer is helping to drive the UN's sustainable development goals through partnerships.
- Pfizer partnered with AMP and the World Health Organization to develop a training program for healthcare workers.
Orangutans join humans and bees in a very exclusive club
- Orangutan mothers wait to sound a danger alarm to avoid tipping off predators to their location
- It took a couple of researchers crawling around the Sumatran jungle to discover the phenomenon
- This ability may come from a common ancestor
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.