Christmas 2008 is right around the corner and that means it's time to play...
SPOT THAT HOLIDAY VIOLATION!
Here are the rules:
- Only American public schools are eligible. [sorry, international readers]
- Identify a possible violation of the Establishment Clause of the United States Constitution in your local school system. The Establishment Clause requires that schools not favor a) one religion (e.g., Christianity) over another religion, or b) religion over no religion. Government-sponsored religious displays or activities are pretty much always unconstitutional.
- Leave your description of the possible violation in the comments section of this post. If you're not sure if it's a violation or not, leave it anyway and we'll chime in as needed. Possible violations may include teacher- or school-sponsored activities, displays, or other actions.
- The most egregious violation [as judged by myself, Justin Bathon (at CASTLE's brother blog, EdJurist), and Jon Becker (of Educational Insanity)] wins a yet-to-be-determined prize!
- Deadline for entries is December 23, 2008.