I've been tagged by several people to participate in the 8 Random Things meme. I usually don't post about personal stuff on this blog, but given that my last post opened me up a bit, here goes...
- Superman : Kryptonite. Me : birthday cake or Dove dark chocolate.
- I spent four summers working at Camp Nock-A-Mixon, a summer camp for wealthy Jewish kids from New York, New Jersey, and Philly, the last three supervising five bunks of 6 to 9year-olds. It was a fantastic experience where I learned that even the well-to-do have issues, fell in love with bagels and lox, and picked up a little Yiddish.
- I was the first untenured professor in the University of Minnesota College of Education and Human Development to ever win the college's Distinguished Teaching Award. I'm pretty proud of that one.
- I'm the only member of my immediate family that swims more like a rock than a fish.
- My three favorite books of all time may be Ender's Game, The Dragonbone Chair, and Beyond Discipline: From Compliance to Community (the latter should be required reading for every educator across the globe). I'll read anything I can find by Orson Scott Card, Tad Williams, Alfie Kohn, Jonathan Kozol, George R.R. Martin, or Richard Florida.
- I think The College of William & Mary might the greatest place in the world to spend your undergraduate years.
- I'm a big fan of indoors. Outside has allergies, heat, dirt, bugs, etc. If I were a character on Little House on the Prairie, I'd be the sickly kid in the back room that was the shame of my parents and died at age 7.
- When I was 10 my dad thought it would be cool to buy me a tarantula. I would lie awake for hours every night, afraid that if I fell asleep it would get out and I would wake up to find it crawling up my chest toward my face. Aaahhhhh!
Here are another 5 random things if you're interested. Seems like this is a recurring meme. I'll look forward to the next one (4 random things? 10 random things?).