Your Refrigerator is Destroying the Environment
The next step in green living involves about 1,300 fewer kilowatt hours and 2,000 pounds less carbon per year. That's the energy required and pollution caused to run the common behemoth refrigerator that occupies half the kitchen.
Though they account for a mere 0.5% of the American population, the fridge-less see big payoffs in going without one. In addition to the cost and energy savings, the fridge-less find they can keep most food cool, if not cold, in their unplugged refrigerators full of bottles of frozen water. Many employ small freezers as well. Still, even the most serious eco-radicals dont' see the point in going fridge-less and suggest quitting meat as a more effective alternative. No Impact Man got rid of his fridge this year in an effort to go as low carbon as possible and is geting by just fine. Will any Big Thinkers follow his lead?
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
Even some teachers suffer from anxiety about math.
I teach people how to teach math, and I've been working in this field for 30 years. Across those decades, I've met many people who suffer from varying degrees of math trauma – a form of debilitating mental shutdown when it comes to doing mathematics.
She met mere mortals with and without the Vatican's approval.
- For centuries, the Virgin Mary has appeared to the faithful, requesting devotion and promising comfort.
- These maps show the geography of Marian apparitions – the handful approved by the Vatican, and many others.
- Historically, Europe is where most apparitions have been reported, but the U.S. is pretty fertile ground too.
The legacy of Felix Dzerzhinsky, who led Soviet secret police in the "Red Terror," still confounds Russia.
- Felix Dzerzhinsky led the Cheka, Soviet Union's first secret police.
- The Cheka was infamous for executing thousands during the Red Terror of 1918.
- The Cheka later became the KGB, the spy organization where Russia's President Putin served for years.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.