Will the reduction of suffering overtake materialism as mankind's main priority?
Civilization has made great progress, especially over the last 300 years as life became less brutal and people's sense of empathy extended to global proportions.
It is clear than some of us have more than we need in material goods and comforts, while many are still suffering from conditions that are barbaric and dangerous.
Communism and Socialism, while well intended in most cases, have resulted in horrific acts due to our poor understanding of power and it's effects on our decision making, while materialism appears to have run it's course.
Many great thinkers, Einstein, Rees and Vonnegut, spent the last of their lives disillusioned with our chances feeling that we are doomed to self destruction.
For us optimists this is not acceptable and hope is the only path, the recent discovery that we are still evolving, over turning the mythical beliefs that we are "done" as proposed by religions.
Can we change quickly enough to save the species or will we join the Neanderthals?
International poker champion Liv Boeree teaches decision-making for Big Think Edge.
The way that you think about stress can actually transform the effect that it has on you – and others.
- Stress is contagious, and the higher up in an organization you are the more your stress will be noticed and felt by others.
- Kelly McGonigal teaches "Reset your mindset to reduce stress" for Big Think Edge.
- Subscribe to Big Think Edge before we launch on March 30 to get 20% off monthly and annual memberships.
Tracking project establishes northern Argentina is wintering ground of Swainson's hawks
- Watch these six dots move across the map and be moved yourself: this is a story about coming of age, discovery, hardship, death and survival.
- Each dot is a tag attached to the talon of a Swainson's Hawk. We follow them on their very first migration, from northern California all the way down to Argentina.
- After one year, only one is still alive.
These quick bursts of inspiration will brighten your day in 10 minutes or less.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.