Will Belgium be disintegrated ?
Belgium once started as a francophone nation meanwhile half of its citizens didn't speak French, but Flamish.
Reason for this option: fighting the protestant clavinist thoughts, which was also the real reason for the revolution against the Netherlands in the first place.
The problem has finally been resolved after the equal acceptance of Dutch as an official language, but then a new problem arose:
half of the country doesn't have any information about the other half due to a Flamish schooling system, Flamish media and even Flamish government of the most part of their lives.
The other half of the country opting quite logically rather for English then for Flamish/Dutch.
In fact most people do speak and understand English, which can't be said about neither French nor Dutch. Some youth already speak English when meeting each other when finding out the difference of language between them.
I do believe Belgium will become a confederation of three nation: Flanders, Brussels and Wallonia.
BTW, the .vl (Vlaanderen), .wa (Wallonie) et .bxl (Bruxelles) are still available as top level domains...
The way that you think about stress can actually transform the effect that it has on you – and others.
- Stress is contagious, and the higher up in an organization you are the more your stress will be noticed and felt by others.
- Kelly McGonigal teaches "Reset your mindset to reduce stress" for Big Think Edge.
- Subscribe to Big Think Edge before we launch on March 30 to get 20% off monthly and annual memberships.
Three scientists publish paper proving that not Venus but Mercury is the closest planet to Earth
- Earth is the third planet from the Sun, so our closest neighbour must be planet two of four, right?
- Wrong! Neither Venus nor Mars is the right answer.
- Three scientists ran the numbers. In this YouTube video, one of them explains why our nearest neighbour is... Mercury!
The blood of horseshoe crabs is harvested on a massive scale in order to retrieve a cell critical to medical research. However, recent innovations might make this practice obsolete.
- Horseshoe crabs' blue blood is so valuable that a quart of it can be sold for $15,000.
- This is because it contains a molecule that is crucial to the medical research community.
- Today, however, new innovations have resulted in a synthetic substitute that may end the practice of farming horseshoe crabs for their blood.
The distance between the American dream and reality is expressed best through literature.
- Literature expands our ability to feel empathy and inspires compassion.
- These ten novels tackle some facet of the American experience.
- The list includes a fictional retelling of the first Native American to graduate from Harvard and hiding out in inner city Newark.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.