Jesus said ' I am the way and the light, the only way to the father is through me'.. this is a core belief by all Xtians I think it safe to say, and one of the few things they seemingly all agree upon. They revere him for conquering death, and proving via the miracles that he was who he said he is. Why do they refuse to take this statement as read? how is it open to interpretation? He clearly says that unless you accept him you are not able to get the heavenly reward and be with god. This is unambiguous. Of course the unpalatable corollary is that all Jews, Muslims, Bhuddists, Hindu's et al, are left to rot in hell for eternity... the same fate reserved for mass murderers and despots. This is not oversimplifying the New T, it's uncomplicating it... there is no other message in the New T gospels that trumps this one. Just as there is only one core message in the Old T, and that is the first commandment. All the rest is froth.... how is it not? God is the main game for believers and that is the core meesage to them.... believe in me or suffer the consequences! Again this is an offer made from a celestial bully, and reinforced by gentle Jesus... however distasteful to modern ears. Did he mean what he said?
Malcolm Gladwell teaches "Get over yourself and get to work" for Big Think Edge.
- Learn to recognize failure and know the big difference between panicking and choking.
- At Big Think Edge, Malcolm Gladwell teaches how to check your inner critic and get clear on what failure is.
- Subscribe to Big Think Edge before we launch on March 30 to get 20% off monthly and annual memberships.
Both panoramic and detailed, this infographic manages to show both the size and distribution of world religions.
- At a glance, this map shows both the size and distribution of world religions.
- See how religions mix at both national and regional level.
- There's one country in the Americas without a Christian majority – which?
Three scientists publish a paper proving that Mercury, not Venus, is the closest planet to Earth.
- Earth is the third planet from the Sun, so our closest neighbor must be planet two or four, right?
- Wrong! Neither Venus nor Mars is the right answer.
- Three scientists ran the numbers. In this YouTube video, one of them explains why our nearest neighbor is... Mercury!
When FDR took office, the U.S. was in the grips of the Great Depression. People had grown desperate, and FDR's election seemed disastrous. Some wealthy bankers believed that it was time to take the country by force.
- Though we know today that his policies eventually ended the Great Depression, FDR's election was seen as disastrous by some.
- A group of wealthy bankers decided to take things into their own hands; they plotted a coup against FDR, hoping to install a fascist dictator in its stead.
- Ultimately, the coup was brought to light by General Smedley Butler and squashed before it could get off the ground.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.