Why wasn't there ever just nothing?
I'd thought about this for a long time, and it bothered me for nearly as long. First I thought of the physical things. Well what if there were no space? The only things that could exist would be non-physical. Does that mean that existence would be made up of spirits/souls/essences and ideas? Must a spirit/soul/essence have some place to exist? ...(assuming that there is such a thing as a spirit/soul/essence) That's where I got. If a place is necessary, why? If not, why is there any physical.
Assuming one believes in the spirit/soul/essence, why is there such a thing? Why wasn't there ever just nothing?
Are ideas out there for us to find or do we "create" ideas. I believe I can create things in the physical world, but not outside of them. If ideas would be existant without the physical world, do I lend myself to fate?...
My belief is that with enough reflection, an idea will present itself, though not by any choice of my own.
So I gave up on the title question as it become quite disheartening, but I'd be interested to hear opinions of others as well as where they lead.
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
It's up to us humans to re-humanize our world. An economy that prioritizes growth and profits over humanity has led to digital platforms that "strip the topsoil" of human behavior, whole industries, and the planet, giving less and less back. And only we can save us.
- It's an all-hands-on-deck moment in the arc of civilization.
- Everyone has a choice: Do you want to try to earn enough money to insulate yourself from the world you're creating— or do you want to make the world a place you don't have to insulate yourself from?
Eight-dimensional octonions may hold the clues to solve fundamental mysteries.
- Physicists discover complex numbers called octonions that work in 8 dimensions.
- The numbers have been found linked to fundamental forces of reality.
- Understanding octonions can lead to a new model of physics.
Upload your mind? Here's a reality check on the Singularity.
- Though computer engineers claim to know what human consciousness is, many neuroscientists say that we're nowhere close to understanding what it is, or its source.
- Scientists are currently trying to upload human minds to silicon chips, or re-create consciousness with algorithms, but this may be hubristic because we still know so little about what it means to be human.
- Is transhumanism a journey forward or an escape from reality?
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.