Why is traditional theology shunned by modern academia?
It seems odd to me that the spiritualism of Depak Chopra is considered to be the authoritative form of faith on this site. Atheism has its merits, but why are the half-baked religions of a few authors are held in higher esteem than the millenia old traditions of Catholicism, Greek Orthodoxy, and Islam. Spiritualism seems to me to echo the civic deism of Robespierre's Cult of the Supreme Being.
Upstreamism advocate Rishi Manchanda calls us to understand health not as a "personal responsibility" but a "common good."
- Upstreamism tasks health care professionals to combat unhealthy social and cultural influences that exist outside — or upstream — of medical facilities.
- Patients from low-income neighborhoods are most at risk of negative health impacts.
- Thankfully, health care professionals are not alone. Upstreamism is increasingly part of our cultural consciousness.
An innovation may lead to lifelike self-reproducing and evolving machines.
- Scientists at Cornell University devise a material with 3 key traits of life.
- The goal for the researchers is not to create life but lifelike machines.
- The researchers were able to program metabolism into the material's DNA.
Some evidence attributes a certain neurological phenomenon to a near death experience.
- But increased longevity is a cause for celebration, says Ashton Applewhite, not doom and gloom.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.