Why is celebrity gossip considered news? It really isn't...
It really isn't. It just happens to get generalized as such, due to being offered in a similar/identical manner as real news. Just as with, what could be considered as, "real news" is selective and purveyed based on what will get the largest audience.
The unfortunate thing about information like "celebrity gossip" is it's desire by the masses who look for anything, even "crap," to distract them from their everyday life. Minding someone else's business; is an avoidance by the "minder," of their own life situations.
Additionally, it is concerning that too many "media professionals" take advantage of the dysfunctional desire(s) among the consumer populace.
As humans evolve as individuals who better know their selves, connect with what they "value" about any and all they encounter, we have the opportunity to change the reasons for wanting to avoid, rationalize, justify and excuse the things we do. (This can be accomplished within a life-time if not much sooner on)
Connect-to-Value 2005-2008 ©
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
In his final years, Martin Luther King, Jr. become increasingly focused on the problem of poverty in America.
- Despite being widely known for his leadership role in the American civil rights movement, Martin Luther King, Jr. also played a central role in organizing the Poor People's Campaign of 1968.
- The campaign was one of the first to demand a guaranteed income for all poor families in America.
- Today, the idea of a universal basic income is increasingly popular, and King's arguments in support of the policy still make a good case some 50 years later.
She met mere mortals with and without the Vatican's approval.
- For centuries, the Virgin Mary has appeared to the faithful, requesting devotion and promising comfort.
- These maps show the geography of Marian apparitions – the handful approved by the Vatican, and many others.
- Historically, Europe is where most apparitions have been reported, but the U.S. is pretty fertile ground too.
For Damien Echols, tattoos are part of his existential armor.
- In prison Damien Echols was known by his number SK931, not his name, and had his hair sheared off. Stripped of his identity, the only thing he had left was his skin.
- This is why he began tattooing things that are meaningful to him — to carry a "suit of armor" made up the images of the people and objects that have significance to him, from his friends to talismans.
- Echols believes that all places are imbued with divinity: "If you interact with New York City as if there's an intelligence behind... then it will behave towards you the same way."
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.