Why Don't Northern Europeans Believe in God?
Estonians have branded themselves as the least religious European nation according to a new Gallup poll that lends credence to the notion that faith is closely tied to living standards.
The northern Baltic state abutting Russia and Latvia counts only 14% of its population as believers. Nearby Sweden and and Denmark ranked similarly at under 20%. The Gallup people said highly developed countries with a strong social welfare state tend to see lower levels of religiosity. The United States ranks highest among developed countries with two-thirds of the population professing their faith. Much regional variation is noted in the US however with southern states resembling "tribal societies in Southern Africa" but with only 42% of Vermonters going to church.
Pfizer's partnerships strengthen their ability to deliver vaccines in developing countries.
- Pfizer is helping to drive the UN's sustainable development goals through partnerships.
The stories we tell define history. So who gets the mic in America?
- History is written by lions. But it's also recorded by lambs.
- Including different voices can paint a more full and vibrant portrait of America. Which is why more walks of American life can and should be storytellers.
Orangutans join humans and bees in a very exclusive club
- Orangutan mothers wait to sound a danger alarm to avoid tipping off predators to their location
- It took a couple of researchers crawling around the Sumatran jungle to discover the phenomenon
- This ability may come from a common ancestor
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.