Why does the theory of biological evolution exclude agency?
Descent with modification is the Darwinian explanation for evolution. Advances in genetic studies have allowed us to explain microbiological evolution. Macroevolution, however, remains insufficiently explained. Creationists and ID advocates tell us this is because a superior being had a hand in it. Lamarck's idea of acquired traits was dismissed long ago. Some people believe god is found inside oneself. Perhaps there's a synthesis here that needs to be explored: In addition to genetic potential (via mutation and recombination) and environmental constraints, a third precondition - DESIRE(agency) - might fit into the mix. Darwinian theory has us perceiving species as passive receptacles of change. But there is nothing passive about hunger, libido, and the desire to protect one's offspring. Take these out of the equation and, clearly, there can be no survival. Put these into the equation for biological evolution and we might have grounds for Neo-Lamarckian studies.
Setting a simple intention and coming prepared can help you — and those around you — win big.
- Setting an intention doesn't have to be complicated, and it can make a great difference when you're hoping for a specific outcome.
- When comedian Pete Holmes is preparing to record an episode of his podcast, "You Made it Weird with Pete Holmes," he takes 15 seconds to check in with himself. This way, he's primed with his own material and can help guests feel safe and comfortable to share theirs, as well.
- Taking time to visualize your goal for whatever you've set out to do can help you, your colleagues, and your projects succeed.
The Amazon Rainforest is often called "the planet's lungs."
- For weeks, fires have been burning in the Amazon rainforest in Brazil, likely started by farmers and ranchers.
- Brazil's president, Jair Bolsonaro, has blamed NGOs for starting the flames, offering no evidence to support the claim.
- There are small steps you can take to help curb deforestation in the Amazon rainforest, which produces about 20 percent of the world's oxygen.
How do we combat the roots of these hateful forces?
- American Psychological Association sees a dubious and weak link between mental illness and mass shootings.
- Center for the study of Hate and Extremism has found preliminary evidence that political discourse is tied to hate crimes.
- Access to guns and violent history is still the number one statistically significant figure that predicts gun violence.