Why does the theory of biological evolution exclude agency?
Descent with modification is the Darwinian explanation for evolution. Advances in genetic studies have allowed us to explain microbiological evolution. Macroevolution, however, remains insufficiently explained. Creationists and ID advocates tell us this is because a superior being had a hand in it. Lamarck's idea of acquired traits was dismissed long ago. Some people believe god is found inside oneself. Perhaps there's a synthesis here that needs to be explored: In addition to genetic potential (via mutation and recombination) and environmental constraints, a third precondition - DESIRE(agency) - might fit into the mix. Darwinian theory has us perceiving species as passive receptacles of change. But there is nothing passive about hunger, libido, and the desire to protect one's offspring. Take these out of the equation and, clearly, there can be no survival. Put these into the equation for biological evolution and we might have grounds for Neo-Lamarckian studies.
Journaling can help you materialize your ambitions.
- Organizing your thoughts can help you plan and achieve goals that might otherwise seen unobtainable.
- The Bullet Journal method, in particular, can reduce clutter in your life by helping you visualize your future.
- One way to view your journal might be less of a narrative and more of a timeline of decisions.
Progressive America would be half as big, but twice as populated as its conservative twin.
- America's two political tribes have consolidated into 'red' and 'blue' nations, with seemingly irreconcilable differences.
- Perhaps the best way to stop the infighting is to go for a divorce and give the two nations a country each
- Based on the UN's partition plan for Israel/Palestine, this proposal provides territorial contiguity and sea access to both 'red' and 'blue' America
New research links urban planning and political polarization.
- Canadian researchers find that excessive reliance on cars changes political views.
- Decades of car-centric urban planning normalized unsustainable lifestyles.
- People who prefer personal comfort elect politicians who represent such views.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.