Why Does Man Create?
The first set of criteria that I think of are:
1. To record personal or social history (c.f., the cave paintings at Lascaux.
2. To celebrate, propagate or reinforce cultural tradition.
3. To challenge or expand cultural tradition.
To expand on one from a slightly different perspective, Joseph Campbell suggested that the Lascaux art was used as a transformative mechanism for young hunters by the elders, similar to bar mitzvah or confirmation.
Pfizer's partnerships strengthen their ability to deliver vaccines in developing countries.
- Pfizer is helping to drive the UN's sustainable development goals through partnerships.
The famed author headed to the pond thanks to Indian philosophy.
- He was introduced to these texts by his good friend's father, William Emerson.
- Yoga philosophy was in America a century before any physical practices were introduced.
Progressive America would be half as big, but twice as populated as its conservative twin.
- America's two political tribes have consolidated into 'red' and 'blue' nations, with seemingly irreconcilable differences.
- Perhaps the best way to stop the infighting is to go for a divorce and give the two nations a country each
- Based on the UN's partition plan for Israel/Palestine, this proposal provides territorial contiguity and sea access to both 'red' and 'blue' America
A little goes a long way.
- Rethinking what exercise is can help you frame how you move throughout your day.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.