When does a work of Theatre Art Fail?
At the University of New Hampshire the arts department (mainly the Theatre and Dance but thte others have chipped in too) have had an ongoing discussion this year about the relationship between art and democracy. A Professor of mine brought up the point that whenever the University puts on a show that only entertains and does not challenge the veiwer to think, the University fails.
I have taken it one step further to say that any play that only entertains, fails. If somthing is meant only to keep you occupied for the amount of time it is on and doesn't challenege you to think, it was a waste of time you can't have back.
What do you people think?
- Kelly McGonigal teaches "Reset your mindset to reduce stress" for Big Think Edge.
Three scientists publish paper proving that not Venus but Mercury is the closest planet to Earth
- Earth is the third planet from the Sun, so our closest neighbour must be planet two of four, right?
- Wrong! Neither Venus nor Mars is the right answer.
- Horseshoe crabs' blue blood is so valuable that a quart of it can be sold for $15,000.
- This is because it contains a molecule that is crucial to the medical research community.
The distance between the American dream and reality is expressed best through literature.
- Literature expands our ability to feel empathy and inspires compassion.
- These ten novels tackle some facet of the American experience.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.