What would your dream school be like?
I would love to be a teacher in a small, public school that serves the families in an urban neighborhood. The school would be exempt from standardized tests, and would use digital portfolios to promote and graduate students. The school would have about 432 K-12 students and about 40 staff members, which is small enough for these adults to meet and plan together as a whole group. There would be 6 teams with 4 full-time teachers, one team-leader, and one counselor. The remaining 4 staff members would share school-wide leadership responsibilities. The teams would be responsible for a range of four traditional grades: K-3, 2-4, 3-6, 5-8, 7-10, 9-12. Each team would be responsible for 72 from the 4 grads they are responsible for. Promotion from one team to another would be based on demonstration of specified outcomes at each of the six levels.
- The meaning of the word 'confidence' seems obvious. But it's not the same as self-esteem.
- Confidence isn't just a feeling on your inside. It comes from taking action in the world.
- Join Big Think Edge today and learn how to achieve more confidence when and where it really matters.
- Prejudice is typically perpetrated against 'the other', i.e. a group outside our own.
- But ageism is prejudice against ourselves — at least, the people we will (hopefully!) become.
- Different generations needs to cooperate now more than ever to solve global problems.
The controversial herbicide is everywhere, apparently.
- U.S. PIRG tested 20 beers and wines, including organics, and found Roundup's active ingredient in almost all of them.
- A jury on August 2018 awarded a non-Hodgkin's lymphoma victim $289 million in Roundup damages.
- Bayer/Monsanto says Roundup is totally safe. Others disagree.
The team caught a glimpse of a process that takes 18,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 years.
- In Italy, a team of scientists is using a highly sophisticated detector to hunt for dark matter.
- The team observed an ultra-rare particle interaction that reveals the half-life of a xenon-124 atom to be 18 sextillion years.
- The half-life of a process is how long it takes for half of the radioactive nuclei present in a sample to decay.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.