What is a human being?
Ok boys and girls, it seems we rarely move past things we think we know, so lets try and figure out what we do know. I can't think of a better starting point than YOU. Well you as in ME. The self you consider to be your IDENTITY. What are you? Who are you? What is the difference between what and who you are? Where to you consider yourself to be? In time? In space? When you look what do you see? Where are you seeing from?
I've come to the conclusion that we have two intellectual categories. Those who think we are lumps of meat. And those who think we are meat plus something else? What is that something? A soul? And if no soul, then what is the difference between the living and the dead? What is no longer "alive" when you are dead? What constitutes awareness? And what percieves perception? If it is the senses that distinguishes experience, then what does the sensing? Where do the senses derive their information from and where are they sending it to?
What and who are you?
- The meaning of the word 'confidence' seems obvious. But it's not the same as self-esteem.
- Confidence isn't just a feeling on your inside. It comes from taking action in the world.
- Join Big Think Edge today and learn how to achieve more confidence when and where it really matters.
The team caught a glimpse of a process that takes 18,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 years.
- In Italy, a team of scientists is using a highly sophisticated detector to hunt for dark matter.
- The research raises many ethical questions and puts to the test our current understanding of death.
What's dead may never die, it seems
An ethical gray matter
The dilemma is unprecedented.
Setting new boundaries
Some back story
A Dunbar Correlation
Professor Dunbar's response:
Friendship, kinship and limitations
Gray matter matters
There is an eclectic list of reasons why compassion may collapse, irrespective of sheer numbers:
In the end
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.