What everybody ought to know about Baze v Rees
The death penalty has long been used in the eye-for-an-eye style of justice system that some promote.
The 8th amendment says "Excessive bail shall not be required, nor excessive fines imposed, nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted."
Baze v Rees is now challenging not whether the death penalty is cruel/unusual, but the method used by 36 (of the 37 states that have the death penalty)- lethal injection.
- Antimicrobial-resistant pathogens are one of the largest threats to global health today.
- Without intervention, resistant pathogens could result in 10 million annual deaths by 2050.
Are we trying to solve too many problem with technological solutions?
- Technology has given humanity the amazing ability to fix almost any problem, conditioning us to search for technological remedies to what might be social problems.
- Alleviating social inequity is a problem that technology must necessarily attempt to solve, but technology alone cannot shape how humans assemble their societies.
- Only by emphasizing the primary place of individual identity, human dignity, and universal values like empathy and emotion, can we hope to solve global issues that, so far, technology has been unable to conquer.
Radical Transformational Leadership: Strategic Action for Change Agents
Progressive America would be half as big, but twice as populated as its conservative twin.
- America's two political tribes have consolidated into 'red' and 'blue' nations, with seemingly irreconcilable differences.
- Perhaps the best way to stop the infighting is to go for a divorce and give the two nations a country each
- Based on the UN's partition plan for Israel/Palestine, this proposal provides territorial contiguity and sea access to both 'red' and 'blue' America
Long hidden under trees, it's utterly massive
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.