Were are the people who make things?
Manufacturing is our vital link to prosperity.
Manufacturing has left and it seems there are only a few left to turn off the lights. Most countries don't even make bicycles and now we are left to consume what we don't make. How is that going to work? Who will make the nails and hammers to rebuild our economy? How do you create wealth from service industries? How can we sustain our standard of living with health care, finance, retail and tourism alone? Is there anyone out there that is building a factory to produce quality products to consume in a responsible way? I shop Wall Mart and I see nothing from Home! Manufacturing creates real wealth rather than paper profits from the "economy of schemes" of ponzi enrichment. It's people who make things that are missing.
Malcolm Gladwell teaches "Get over yourself and get to work" for Big Think Edge.
- Learn to recognize failure and know the big difference between panicking and choking.
- At Big Think Edge, Malcolm Gladwell teaches how to check your inner critic and get clear on what failure is.
We take fewer mental pictures per second.
- Recent memories run in our brains like sped-up old movies.
- In childhood, we capture images in our memory much more quickly.
- The complexities of grownup neural pathways are no match for the direct routes of young brains.
It's not just a case of "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger."
- A new study suggests children who endure trauma grow up to be adults with more empathy than others.
- The effect is not universal, however. Only one kind of empathy was greatly effected.
It's one of the most consistent patterns in the unviverse. What causes it?
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.