from the world's big
Watch how this video brilliantly compares planet sizes
What if all planets were the same distance from Earth as the Moon?
- A video imagines what it would look like if the planets were all the same distance from Earth as the Moon.
- The largest planets like Jupiter and Saturn would loom large in the sky.
- Mercury is the smallest planet in the solar system.
A graphic published on Twitter brings the relative sizes of planets into perspective by imagining: What if the planets were as far from us as the Moon?
Here's how that would look from a video originally created by Yeti Dynamics:
If the Moon were replaced with some of our planets
The fascinating post brings up the question: How big are the planets? If you were wondering, here's how that rundown goes (in terms of planet diameters):
- Jupiter : 142,984 km (88,846 mi)
- Saturn: 120,536 km (74897.6 mi)
- Uranus: 50,724 km (31,518.43 mi)
- Neptune: 49,244 km (30598.8 mi)
- Earth: 12,756 km (7926 mi)
- Venus: 12,104 km (7521 mi)
- Mars: 6779 km (4212.275 mi)
- Mercury: 4,879 km (3031.67 mi)
- Pluto - not currently considered a planet: 1,476.8 mi
Here's another way a NASA artist compared the relative planet sizes:
Emotional intelligence is a skill sought by many employers. Here's how to raise yours.
- Daniel Goleman's 1995 book Emotional Intelligence catapulted the term into widespread use in the business world.
- One study found that EQ (emotional intelligence) is the top predictor of performance and accounts for 58% of success across all job types.
- EQ has been found to increase annual pay by around $29,000 and be present in 90% of top performers.
The rough beauty of the American West seems as far as you can get from the polished corridors of power in Washington DC.
The rough beauty of the American West seems as far as you can get from the polished corridors of power in Washington DC. Until you look at the title to the land. The federal government owns large tracts of the western states: from a low of 29.9% in Montana, already more than the national average, up to a whopping 84.5% in Nevada.
This course collection can get you trained and ready for a six-figure career in this field.
- The Premium 2020 Project & Quality Management Certification Bundle explores the most popular project management methodologies.
- Coursework covers Agile, Agile Scrum, PMI-PMBOK and Six Sigma approaches.
- Valued at $2,699, the course package is on sale for just $45.99.
Researchers are using technology to make visual the complex concepts of racism, as well as its political and social consequences.
- Often thought of first as gaming tech, virtual reality has been increasingly used in research as a tool for mimicking real-life scenarios and experiences in a safe and controlled environment.
- Focusing on issues of oppression and the ripple affect it has throughout America's political, educational, and social systems, Dr. Courtney D. Cogburn of Columbia University School of Social Work and her team developed a VR experience that gives users the opportunity to "walk a mile" in the shoes of a black man as he faces racism at three stages in his life: as a child, during adolescence, and as an adult.
- Cogburn says that the goal is to show how these "interwoven oppressions" continue to shape the world beyond our individual experiences. "I think the most important and powerful human superpower is critical consciousness," she says. "And that is the ability to think, be aware and think critically about the world and people around you...it's not so much about the interpersonal 'Do I feel bad, do I like you?'—it's more 'Do I see the world as it is? Am I thinking critically about it and engaging it?'"
President Vladimir Putin announces approval of Russia's coronavirus vaccine but scientists warn it may be unsafe.