The Yemen Observer- a paper that has never been accused of government affiliation- is reports that Tariq al-Fadhli's brother is saying that Tariq has been given a three-day ultimatum, or will "face the consequences".
It is vague as to the meaning.
I think, though, that it is clear the government is trying to personalize the story. This paragraph in the article demonstrates that.
Eight people were killed and 20 others wounded in confrontations between the security forces and between some insurgents affiliated to Tariq al-Fadhli one of the veterans of Afghanistan war against the Soviet Union who recently merged with the Southern Movement.
The traitor narrative is much easier to sell than the "pervasive, endemic, systematic failure" narrative.
Malcolm Gladwell teaches "Get over yourself and get to work" for Big Think Edge.
- Learn to recognize failure and know the big difference between panicking and choking.
- At Big Think Edge, Malcolm Gladwell teaches how to check your inner critic and get clear on what failure is.
- Subscribe to Big Think Edge before we launch on March 30 to get 20% off monthly and annual memberships.
It's one of the most consistent patterns in the unviverse. What causes it?
- Spinning discs are everywhere – just look at our solar system, the rings of Saturn, and all the spiral galaxies in the universe.
- Spinning discs are the result of two things: The force of gravity and a phenomenon in physics called the conservation of angular momentum.
- Gravity brings matter together; the closer the matter gets, the more it accelerates – much like an ice skater who spins faster and faster the closer their arms get to their body. Then, this spinning cloud collapses due to up and down and diagonal collisions that cancel each other out until the only motion they have in common is the spin – and voila: A flat disc.
It's not just a case of "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger."
- A new study suggests children who endure trauma grow up to be adults with more empathy than others.
- The effect is not universal, however. Only one kind of empathy was greatly effected.
- The study may lead to further investigations into how people cope with trauma and lead to new ways to help victims bounce back.
Do you have a magnetic compass in your head?
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.