A Scene from Sanaa
Most of us have little idea what the fighting in Sanaa over the past several days has been like.
We can imagine if not quite comprehend the daily struggles that come with water shortages, limited gas supplies, electrical outages, and to a much lesser extent seeing food priced out of range.
But few of us, can imagine the savagery and senseless violence of the street fighting that has errupted.
We see pictures and videos but those are on screens that hours of movie and television watching have conditioned us to ignore.
Unfortunately, the images coming out of Sanaa are all too real - the people we see dying are dead. Words cheapen deeds.
WARNING: The video I link to below is INCREDIBLY GRAPHIC, this is not suitable for young children (really for any of us) and please if you choose to view it, be certain that you are able to handle vividly violent images.
Malcolm Gladwell teaches "Get over yourself and get to work" for Big Think Edge.
- Learn to recognize failure and know the big difference between panicking and choking.
- At Big Think Edge, Malcolm Gladwell teaches how to check your inner critic and get clear on what failure is.
- Subscribe to Big Think Edge before we launch on March 30 to get 20% off monthly and annual memberships.
Do you have a magnetic compass in your head?
Turns out pushups are more telling than treadmill tests when it comes to cardiovascular health.
- Men who can perform 40 pushups in one minute are 96 percent less likely to have cardiovascular disease than those who do less than 10.
- The Harvard study focused on over 1,100 firefighters with a median age of 39.
- The exact results might not be applicable to men of other age groups or to women, researchers warn.
On Thursday, New Zealand moved to ban an array of semi-automatic guns and firearms components following a mass shooting that killed 50 people.
- Gun control supporters are pointing to the ban as an example of swift, decisive action that the U.S. desperately needs.
- Others note the inherent differences between the two nations, arguing that it is a good thing that it is relatively hard to pass such legislation in such a short timeframe.
- The ban will surely shape future conversations about gun control in the U.S.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.