Is political writing political activism?
Question: Is political writing political activism?\r\n
Keith Gessen: Well, you know, I mean, this is a- I myself am not involved in doing much political activism, because I think that the thing that I do best is to write and to read a lot of things, and try to process them and understand them. I think, you know, but I definitely think that books, more than anything else, can really change how people think. I think there’s a process when you’re reading when you become much more susceptible to the thoughts of another person, and also to changing your own thinking.
So, you know, and that’s been true in my own life, so you know, I think books have a- and articles- but you know, even fiction still has a real role to play in changing the way that people live. And, you know- and there’s various ways, you know- there’s- I mean, there’s various arguments for this. You know, with my own book, I hope it discourages a bit of- by showing what happens with a particular kind of apathy and self-involvement, and showing where that can go, that it might keep some people from that path.\r\n
Gessen, on the power of ideas.
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
A growing body of research shows promising signs that the keto diet might be able to improve mental health.
- The keto diet is known to be an effective tool for weight loss, however its effects on mental health remain largely unclear.
- Recent studies suggests that the keto diet might be an effective tool for treating depression, and clearing up so-called "brain fog," though scientists caution more research is necessary before it can be recommended as a treatment.
- Any experiments with the keto diet are best done in conjunction with a doctor, considering some people face problems when transitioning to the low-carb diet.
She met mere mortals with and without the Vatican's approval.
- For centuries, the Virgin Mary has appeared to the faithful, requesting devotion and promising comfort.
- These maps show the geography of Marian apparitions – the handful approved by the Vatican, and many others.
- Historically, Europe is where most apparitions have been reported, but the U.S. is pretty fertile ground too.
Thinking your life is worthwhile is correlated with a variety of positive outcomes.
- A new study finds that adults who feel their lives are meaningful have better health and life outcomes.
- Adults who felt their lives were worthwhile tended to be more social and had healthier habits.
- The findings could be used to help improve the health of older adults.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.