PopularSurprising SciencePersonal GrowthMind & BrainSex & RelationshipsTechnology & InnovationCulture & ReligionPolitics & Current Affairs
Introducing Big Think Edge
Employees today demand ongoing development as part of the employment contract. Face-to-face training is too costly and logistically impossible to implement in large, geographically-dispersed organizations. Online training needs to be high in production value, sourced from recognized leaders, authentic, relevant and actionable. Edge features a powerful, carefully curated selection from among thousands of interviews with the world’s top experts — from industry leaders to prominent scholars to cutting-edge researchers. It engages them as teachers and living case studies, to deliver knowledge and skills that will transform your employees’ personal and professional lives.
A few traditions in the Roman Catholic Church can be traced back to pagan cults, rites, and deities.
20 February, 2020
Photo by Josh Applegate / UnsplashCulture & Religion
- The Catholic rite of Holy Communion parallels pre-Christian Greco-Roman and Egyptian rituals that involved eating the body and blood of a god.
- A number of Catholic holidays and myths, such as Christmas, Easter, and Mardi Gras, graph onto the timeline of pre-Christian fertility festivals.
- The Catholic practice of praying to saints has been called "de-facto idolatry" and even a relic of goddess worship.
A pragmatic approach to fixing an imbalanced system.
20 February, 2020
- Intentional or not, certain inequalities are inherent in a digital economy that is structured and controlled by a few corporations that don't represent the interests or the demographics of the majority.
- While concern and anger are valid reactions to these inequalities, UCLA professor Ramesh Srinivasan also sees it as an opportunity to take action.
- Srinivasan says that the digital economy can be reshaped to benefit the 99 percent if we protect laborers in the gig economy, get independent journalists involved with the design of algorithmic news systems, support small businesses, and find ways that groups that have been historically discriminated against can be a part of these solutions.
ai big problems computers data design development economics future google inequality innovation internet machine learning programming technology