Are development and environmentalism compatible?
Question: Are development and environmentalism compatible?
Carl Pope: Well I suppose that depends on what you mean by development. And I’m reminded of Gandhi’s response when he was asked what he thought about western civilization. And he said it would be a good idea. I think development . . . human development would be a good idea. What we mostly call development is not actually development. It’s piracy. It’s just grabbing stuff. No, grabbing stuff and protecting the environmental are not compatible. We cannot have an economy in which those who get there first and take everything off the table are rewarded. That’s not compatible with what we need to do to survive sustainably in this 21st century. So we need a new definition of development. But if development means learning how to grow 100 plants and feed a family off a smaller garden, yeah, that’s definitely compatible. If it’s the development that comes from knowledge and wisdom as opposed to the development that comes from grabbing and appropriating, it’s not only compatible; it’s essential.
Recorded on: September 27, 2007.
Pope believes that the environment is essential to a country's development.
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
How you talk to people with drug addiction might save their life.
- Addiction is a learning disorder; it's not a sign that someone is a bad person.
- Tough love doesn't help drug-addicted people. Research shows that the best way to get people help is through compassion, empathy and support. Approach them as an equal human being deserving of respect.
- As a first step to recovery, Maia Szalavitz recommends the family or friends of people with addiction get them a complete psychiatric evaluation by somebody who is not affiliated with any treatment organization. Unfortunately, warns Szalavitz, some people will try to make a profit off of an addicted person without informing them of their full options.
The rise of anti-scientific thinking and conspiracy is a concerning trend.
- Fifty years later after one of the greatest achievements of mankind, there's a growing number of moon landing deniers. They are part of a larger trend of anti-scientific thinking.
- Climate change, anti-vaccination and other assorted conspiratorial mindsets are a detriment and show a tangible impediment to fostering real progress or societal change.
- All of these separate anti-scientific beliefs share a troubling root of intellectual dishonesty and ignorance.
China's Chang'e 4 biosphere experiment marks a first for humankind.
- China's Chang'e 4 lunar lander touched down on the far side of the moon on January 3.
- In addition to a lunar rover, the lander carried a biosphere experiment that contains five sets of plants and some insects.
- The experiment is designed to test how astronauts might someday grow plants in space to sustain long-term settlements.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.