If God is almighty and not bound by time; I see no reason, why the story about the creation of the universe, as told in Genesis of the christian Bible, and the scientific story about the appearing of earth, life and man should not both be literally true.
Assuming the biblical genese and the scientific genese both to be true literally; I can only speculate about the why and how of the emerging of the scientific truth. Maybe the scientific truth is also created by God in relation to human sin or maybe it is created by the wishes, beliefs and expectancies of humans. Whatever. Maybe the disbelief in the biblical truth removes that truth even further. The biblical truth asks believing; confirmation might come later. By seeking confirmation first, one might cause or find non-biblical confirmation.
After all, the scientific story can hardly be seen as a story more in favour of man. The earth is a tiny spot in a gigantic universe, the durance of human existence is one moment in an enormous sea of time. Apes are our ancestors and our origin lies somewhere between a big bang and coincidence.
Malcolm Gladwell teaches "Get over yourself and get to work" for Big Think Edge.
- Learn to recognize failure and know the big difference between panicking and choking.
- At Big Think Edge, Malcolm Gladwell teaches how to check your inner critic and get clear on what failure is.
- Subscribe to Big Think Edge before we launch on March 30 to get 20% off monthly and annual memberships.
It's one of the most consistent patterns in the unviverse. What causes it?
- Spinning discs are everywhere – just look at our solar system, the rings of Saturn, and all the spiral galaxies in the universe.
- Spinning discs are the result of two things: The force of gravity and a phenomenon in physics called the conservation of angular momentum.
- Gravity brings matter together; the closer the matter gets, the more it accelerates – much like an ice skater who spins faster and faster the closer their arms get to their body. Then, this spinning cloud collapses due to up and down and diagonal collisions that cancel each other out until the only motion they have in common is the spin – and voila: A flat disc.
Both panoramic and detailed, this infographic manages to show both the size and distribution of world religions.
- At a glance, this map shows both the size and distribution of world religions.
- See how religions mix at both national and regional level.
- There's one country in the Americas without a Christian majority – which?
Do you have a magnetic compass in your head?
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.