Two from Richard Florida
Bill Gates says U.S. schools are "broken." Alvin Toffler calls them relics of
a by-gone industrial age. Now, according to Johns Hopkins University
researchers, 1 in 10 American high-schools is a "drop out factory," where 60
percent of freshman do not even make it to their senior year. What a colossal
waste of human talent. The U.S. has been living off the educational investments
of other countries, particularly China and India, for the past several decades.
What happens if the supply of foreign talent dries up or decides to head
People are creative. We like challenging and creative work. Most of us do not
need to spend more time in educational prisons sitting like a bump on a log in
class or getting ready for the big game, the pep rally or the prom. We need to
be involved in stuff that activates creativity.
- The meaning of the word 'confidence' seems obvious. But it's not the same as self-esteem.
- Confidence isn't just a feeling on your inside. It comes from taking action in the world.
- Join Big Think Edge today and learn how to achieve more confidence when and where it really matters.
- Prejudice is typically perpetrated against 'the other', i.e. a group outside our own.
- But ageism is prejudice against ourselves — at least, the people we will (hopefully!) become.
- Different generations needs to cooperate now more than ever to solve global problems.
The controversial herbicide is everywhere, apparently.
- U.S. PIRG tested 20 beers and wines, including organics, and found Roundup's active ingredient in almost all of them.
- A jury on August 2018 awarded a non-Hodgkin's lymphoma victim $289 million in Roundup damages.
- Bayer/Monsanto says Roundup is totally safe. Others disagree.
The team caught a glimpse of a process that takes 18,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 years.
- In Italy, a team of scientists is using a highly sophisticated detector to hunt for dark matter.
- The team observed an ultra-rare particle interaction that reveals the half-life of a xenon-124 atom to be 18 sextillion years.
- The half-life of a process is how long it takes for half of the radioactive nuclei present in a sample to decay.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.