Can Tiger Woods and American Idol Save the Global Economy?
In the past six months, the United States has seen the lowest Dow closing in over a decade, the worst job market in almost a century, and a recession that some contend may actually be a depression. Sadly, there have been two cultural icons missing from the American milieu which have the power to recharge the global economy: American Idol and Tiger Woods. Luckily, they're both back.
While the recent stimulus plan aims to bolster the foundation of the economy, these two money-making allstars are just now returning from extended breaks brought on by knee surgery (Woods) and the rerun season (Idol).
Assuming they can adapt to the brave new post-Bush world they left behind, these global phenomena that have generated over $1 billion in revenue between them could be the financial salve the world needs.
As if kneeling before the Second Coming, Nike has produced a million-dollar TV commercial saluting Tiger’s return. American Idol’s ratings are down roughly 10% so far, but it’s still maintaining its place as television’s reigning juggernaut. Even embattled car manufacturer Ford is keeping its multi-million American Idol endorsement.
This is change we can believe in. And besides, if the most dominant forces in sports and television can’t help resuscitate the economy, at least we’ll have some fun distractions to keep us occupied in the meantime.
Pfizer's partnerships strengthen their ability to deliver vaccines in developing countries.
- Pfizer is helping to drive the UN's sustainable development goals through partnerships.
Orangutans join humans and bees in a very exclusive club
- Orangutan mothers wait to sound a danger alarm to avoid tipping off predators to their location
- It took a couple of researchers crawling around the Sumatran jungle to discover the phenomenon
- This ability may come from a common ancestor
- The new definition of a kilogram is based on a physical constant in quantum physics.
- Unlike the current definition of a kilogram, this measurement will never change.
- Scientists also voted to update the definitions of several other measurements in physics.
Journaling can help you materialize your ambitions.
- Organizing your thoughts can help you plan and achieve goals that might otherwise seen unobtainable.
- One way to view your journal might be less of a narrative and more of a timeline of decisions.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.