Supporting Medical Research Detectives, with Michael Vassar
It's common to dismiss the sorts of processes undertaken by the characters in CSI or House as the stuff of fantasy. MetaMed Research co-founder Michael Vassar argues that we've got that all wrong.
Michael Vassar is co-founder and chief science officer of MetaMed Research, a medical consulting firm that conducts personalized medical research for clients. In today's featured Big Think interview, Vassar explains the impetus for forming his research firm while also embarking on a tour de force takedown of modern medical research:
Former president of the ACLU Nadine Strossen discusses whether our society should always defend free speech rights, even for groups who would oppose such rights.
- Former ACLU president Nadine Strossen understands that protecting free speech rights isn't always a straightforward proposition.
- In this video, Strossen describes the reasoning behind why the ACLU defended the free speech rights of neo-Nazis in Skokie, Illinois, 1977.
- The opinions expressed in this video do not necessarily reflect the views of the Charles Koch Foundation, which encourages the expression of diverse viewpoints within a culture of civil discourse and mutual respect.
The reason one diet does not suit all may be found in our guts.
Strangely, the sun showed no sunspots at the time the photo was taken.
- The photo shows the International Space Station as it orbits the Earth, as it does every 90 minutes.
- The photo is remarkable because it offers a glimpse of the star at a time when there were no sunspots.
- In November, astronauts aboard the ISS plan to grow Española chili pepper plants.
- Deconstruction is exactly what it sounds like—a method for breaking your life down into its simplest component parts.
- Ayse Birsel argues that deconstruction is like taking a camera apart: you can't possibly put it back together in the same way.
- Be sure to check out Design the Life You Love, Part 2: Reconstruction to learn how to put the pieces of your life back together in a realistic way. Sign up for Big Think Edge to see exclusive more content!