Meet the Greatest Generation: The Internet Pioneers
Today's rising generation, or Internet Pioneers, are a complex bunch. They are "impatient, empowered, multi-tasking, curious, confident, confused, sexually liberated, sometimes binge-drinking, and often fragile kids.”
What's the Big Idea?
Is the American Dream a "relay race"? That means each successive generation helping the next one, a story we have been hearing over and over again this week at the Democratic and Republican National Convention.
Whatever you think about Democratic or Republican politics, a lot of it sounds like nostalgia. After all, the 21st century version of the American Dream is developing as one of generational strife. The rising generation, after all, is being handed an enormous debt and diminished expectations for the future. And yet. And yet, there is reason for optimism. This generation, which is masterfully presented by marketing guru Jack Myers in his new book, Hooked Up: A New Generation's Surprising Take on Sex, Politics and Saving the World, is not the entitled, selfish generation that is often portrayed by its many critics in the media, but rather, are a remarkably complex bunch. Internet Pioneers, those roughly born in the early 1990s, Myers argues, are:
"impatient, empowered, multi-tasking, curious, confident, confused, sexually liberated, sometimes binge-drinking, and often fragile kids.”
Meet them in the video here:
Image courtesy of Shutterstock
Follow Daniel Honan on Twitter @Daniel Honan
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
How you talk to people with drug addiction might save their life.
- Addiction is a learning disorder; it's not a sign that someone is a bad person.
- Tough love doesn't help drug-addicted people. Research shows that the best way to get people help is through compassion, empathy and support. Approach them as an equal human being deserving of respect.
- As a first step to recovery, Maia Szalavitz recommends the family or friends of people with addiction get them a complete psychiatric evaluation by somebody who is not affiliated with any treatment organization. Unfortunately, warns Szalavitz, some people will try to make a profit off of an addicted person without informing them of their full options.
These photos of scientific heroes and accomplishments inspire awe and curiosity.
- Science has given humanity an incalculable boost over the recent centuries, changing our lives in ways both awe-inspiring and humbling.
- Fortunately, photography, a scientific feat in and of itself, has recorded some of the most important events, people and discoveries in science, allowing us unprecedented insight and expanding our view of the world.
- Here are some of the most important scientific photos of history:
China's Chang'e 4 biosphere experiment marks a first for humankind.
- China's Chang'e 4 lunar lander touched down on the far side of the moon on January 3.
- In addition to a lunar rover, the lander carried a biosphere experiment that contains five sets of plants and some insects.
- The experiment is designed to test how astronauts might someday grow plants in space to sustain long-term settlements.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.