It's Newt Time: Gingrich Emerges as the New GOP Alternative to Romney
From 2011-2014, Daniel Honan was the Managing Editor at Big Think. Prior to Big Think, Daniel was Vice President of Production for Plum TV, a niche cable network he helped launch in 2002. The production team he oversaw won over two dozen Emmy awards. Daniel has created numerous shows and documentaries for television, and his film credits include Stealing the Fire, a documentary on the black market for nuclear weapons technology.
Follow Daniel on Twitter @DanielHonan
The political courtship ritual some have called "speed-dating" has featured a revolving door of Republican alternatives to Mitt Romney: Michelle Bachmann, Rick Perry, Herman Cain. With a sexual harassment scandal now seemingly taking its toll on Cain's standing in the polls, Newt Gingrich has surged to the top. In fact, a recent national CNN survey finds Gingrich and Romney in a virtual tie.
So it's Gingrich's time in the sun, and Big Think gives the the candidate some have dubbed "the big thinker" his equal time. In the video below, Gingrich tells Big Think how Americans need to change their fiscal habits, and the implications of being in massive debt to foreign countries.
Watch the video here:
Follow Daniel Honan on Twitter @DanielHonan
Is everyone's favorite Thanksgiving centerpiece really to blame for the post-dinner doldrums?
- Rumor has it our after-dinner sleepiness results from the tryptophan found in turkey.
Pfizer's partnerships strengthen their ability to deliver vaccines in developing countries.
- Pfizer is helping to drive the UN's sustainable development goals through partnerships.
The famed author headed to the pond thanks to Indian philosophy.
- The famed author was heavily influenced by Indian literature, informing his decision to self-exile on Walden Pond.
- He was introduced to these texts by his good friend's father, William Emerson.
- Yoga philosophy was in America a century before any physical practices were introduced.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.