Is Comet ISON a Big Dud?
The future of Comet ISON does not look bright," says the astronomer Ignacio Ferrín of the University of Antioquia in Medellín, Colombia.
In a previous post, we shared a video by the astronomy blogger Tony Darnell who explained that while comet ISON will not collide with Earth in November, we might expect some other events to take place, such as a meteor shower, in 2014.
Comet ISON has been hyped up as the "comet of the century" due to its expected brightness in the sky when it passes Earth. It has also been the subject of online conspiracy theories that claim NASA is covering up data that shows the comet will actually destroy the Earth.
Neither scenario may turn out to be true, as "the future of Comet ISON does not look bright," says the astronomer Ignacio Ferrín of the University of Antioquia in Medellín, Colombia.
It's still anyone's guess.
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
Is it "perverseness," the "death drive," or something else?
Eight-dimensional octonions may hold the clues to solve fundamental mysteries.
- Physicists discover complex numbers called octonions that work in 8 dimensions.
- The numbers have been found linked to fundamental forces of reality.
- Understanding octonions can lead to a new model of physics.
It's up to us humans to re-humanize our world. An economy that prioritizes growth and profits over humanity has led to digital platforms that "strip the topsoil" of human behavior, whole industries, and the planet, giving less and less back. And only we can save us.
- It's an all-hands-on-deck moment in the arc of civilization.
- Everyone has a choice: Do you want to try to earn enough money to insulate yourself from the world you're creating— or do you want to make the world a place you don't have to insulate yourself from?
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.