He's Back! Is Hollywood Ready for Ricky Gervais, Round Two?
From 2011-2014, Daniel Honan was the Managing Editor at Big Think. Prior to Big Think, Daniel was Vice President of Production for Plum TV, a niche cable network he helped launch in 2002. The production team he oversaw won over two dozen Emmy awards. Daniel has created numerous shows and documentaries for television, and his film credits include Stealing the Fire, a documentary on the black market for nuclear weapons technology.
Follow Daniel on Twitter @DanielHonan
It was a year ago that Ricky Gervais hosted the Golden Globe Awards and joked The Hollywood Foreign Press Association (HFPA) accepts bribes. That joke certainly ruffled some feathers since a former HFPA publicist had just charged in a lawsuit that the association had accepted "payola," bribes from studios in exchange for nominations.
Gervais didn't stop there. Not only did he go after he easy targets like Charlie Sheen and Mel Gibson, Gervais went after Hollywood royalty, including Angelina Jolie and Jonny Depp. And now Gervais is back to host his third Golden Globe Awards, despite the fact that one-quarter of HFPA's members voted against the idea.
Turns out Gervais gets the last laugh. Watch Gervais laugh a lot, and then some more, in this riotous appearance on Big Think.
Watch the video here:
Follow Daniel Honan on Twitter @DanielHonan
The best-selling author tells us his methods.
- James Patterson has sold 300 million copies of his 130 books, making him one of the most successful authors alive today.
- He talks about how some writers can overdo it by adding too much research, or worse, straying from their outline for too long.
- James' latest book, The President is Missing, co-written with former President Bill Clinton, is out now.
Pfizer's partnerships strengthen their ability to deliver vaccines in developing countries.
- Community healthcare workers face many challenges in their work, including often traveling far distances to see their clients
- Pfizer is helping to drive the UN's sustainable development goals through partnerships.
- Pfizer partnered with AMP and the World Health Organization to develop a training program for healthcare workers.
It's the first time the association hasn't hired a comedian in 16 years.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.