Andrew Keen: Uber is an Example of Why the Internet is Not the Answer
Author and entrepreneur Andrew Keen recently visited Big Think to discuss his new book "The Internet is Not the Answer," which explores the negative effects of Silicon Valley innovations on society.
After decades spent as a Silicon Valley entrepreneur, Andrew Keen has dedicated the past several years to career critiquing technology's negative effects on society. His latest book, The Internet is Not the Answer, examines the ways in which businessmen have taken advantage of the unregulated internet in order to undermine its own supposed values. As an example, Keen tackles the car-sharing service Uber in today's featured Big Think interview:
A new study estimated the untapped potential of wind energy across Europe.
- A new report calculated how much electricity Europe could generate if it built onshore wind farms on all of its exploitable land.
- The results indicated that European onshore wind farms could supply the whole world with electricity from now until 2050.
- Wind farms come with a few complications, but the researchers noted that their study was meant to highlight the untapped potential of the renewable energy source in Europe.
French newspapers report that the trial hasn't lived up to expectations.
- The French government initially invested in a rural solar roadway in 2016.
- French newspapers report that the trial hasn't lived up to expectations.
- Solar panel "paved" roadways are proving to be inefficient and too expensive.
You want one. Now you may be able to survive one.
Photo credit: Jie Zhao / Getty contributor
- Cats live in a quarter of Western households.
- Allergies to them are common and can be dangerous.
- A new approach targets the primary trouble-causing allergen.