A Primer for World Health Day: What You Need To Know About Aging
What is the Big Idea?
World Health Day is on April 7 and the theme this year is Aging and Health. The World Health Organization provided some key facts about today's aging population:
What is the Significance?
The World Health Organization's call to action is to promote health throughout life in order to achieve good health in old age. Joel Cohen, math biologist and Big Think expert, couldn't agree more. An uninformed aging population has health and economical consequences.
"If we educate people well in youth, we can cut down the old age health care costs and disability and we have a more productive labor force," said Cohen.
Watch Joel Cohen talk about the world's aging population:
What are you doing for yourself to promote good lifelong health? Tell us in the comments section below.
Photo courtesy of Flickr.com
- The meaning of the word 'confidence' seems obvious. But it's not the same as self-esteem.
- Confidence isn't just a feeling on your inside. It comes from taking action in the world.
- Join Big Think Edge today and learn how to achieve more confidence when and where it really matters.
- There are 2 different approaches to governing free speech on college campuses.
- One is a morality/order approach. The other is a bottom-up approach.
- Emily Chamlee-Wright says there are many benefits to having no one central authority on what is appropriate speech.
Two new studies say yes. Unfortunately, each claims a different time.
- Research at the Weizmann Institute of Sciences declares evening to be the best time for an exercise session.
- Not so fast, says a new study at UC Irvine, which replies that late morning is the optimal workout time.
- Both studies involved mice on treadmills and measured different markers to produce their results.
- Economist Sylvia Ann Hewlett breaks down what qualities will inspire others to believe in you.
- Here's how 300 leaders and 4,000 mid-level managers described someone with executive presence.
- Get more deep insights like these to power your career forward. Join Big Think Edge.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.