A Disturbing Weather Report for the Year 2047
By 2047, plus or minus five years, the coldest years the world experiences will actually be warmer than the hottest years in the past.
If the world does not act with great urgency to mitigate greenhouse emissions, we will need to completely redefine what a hot year is and a cold year is. By 2047, plus or minus five years, the coldest years the world experiences will actually be warmer than the hottest years in the past. This disturbing projection was published in the journal Nature by a team of researchers led by Camilo Mora.
"Unprecedented climates will occur earliest in the tropics and among low-income countries," the authors write, "highlighting the vulnerability of global biodiversity and the limited governmental capacity to respond to the impacts of climate change."
The authors argue, however, that urgent action might delay these changes by several decades, allowing both nature and humans to adapt.
Image courtesy of Shutterstock
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
- The study compared personality traits and obesity views among more than 3,000 mothers.
- People who scored high in conscientiousness are more likely to experience "fat phobia.
Meanwhile, Spaniards are the least likely to say their culture is superior to others.
- Survey by Pew Research Center shows great variation in chauvinism across Europe.
- Eight most chauvinist countries are in the east, and include Russia.
- Henry Dunant's work led to the Red Cross and conventions on treating prisoners humanely.
- Amendments to the agreements reflect the modern world but have not been ratified by all countries.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.