Standing for Something: A New Book by Big Thinker Mark Seddon
From 2011-2014, Daniel Honan was the Managing Editor at Big Think. Prior to Big Think, Daniel was Vice President of Production for Plum TV, a niche cable network he helped launch in 2002. The production team he oversaw won over two dozen Emmy awards. Daniel has created numerous shows and documentaries for television, and his film credits include Stealing the Fire, a documentary on the black market for nuclear weapons technology.
Follow Daniel on Twitter @DanielHonan
It's always exciting news for us at Big Think when one of our own has published a new book. Today we are excited to spread the word about Mark Seddon's book Standing for Something: Life in the Awkward Squad, which details Mark's role as a leading member of the so-called Awkward Squad, "a thorn in the flesh of New Labour."
For over a decade Mark served as editor of Tribune, the house magazine of the Left, and also as a member of Labour’s National Executive Committee. Seddon describes how he "scurried around the corridors of power, gaining a unique perspective on the activities of Blair, Brown and Mandelson – and of less familiar figures who played their part in the story of New Labour."
As fans of Mark's blog As I Please are aware, Mark's career has also taken him far from the U.K. In 2005 Mark set up the New York Bureau for Al Jazeera English TV, and became the network’s first United Nations correspondent, filing from New York, Washington DC and from far beyond. Standing for Something features Mark's account of those experiences, and his publisher has kindly made two chapters that cover that period of his career available for Big Thinkers to download here.
Orangutans join humans and bees in a very exclusive club
- Orangutan mothers wait to sound a danger alarm to avoid tipping off predators to their location
- It took a couple of researchers crawling around the Sumatran jungle to discover the phenomenon
- This ability may come from a common ancestor
Giving our solar system a "slap in the face."
- A stream of galactic debris is hurtling at us, pulling dark matter along with it
- It's traveling so quickly it's been described as a hurricane of dark matter
- Scientists are excited to set their particle detectors at the onslffaught
Journaling can help you materialize your ambitions.
- Organizing your thoughts can help you plan and achieve goals that might otherwise seen unobtainable.
- One way to view your journal might be less of a narrative and more of a timeline of decisions.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.