Journalist Hooman Majd has followed up on our last post on Iran's nuclear revelation with his latest thoughts on how the news will affect Ahmadinejad. He writes that "although the news of the secret nuclear facility may appear to only add to Ahmadinejad's problems, it may in fact help him." This notion may surprise many in the West, but Majd explains how this may be exactly what Ahmadinejad needed in terms of his home country image.
First, Majd explains, "it deflects from questions about the election, the unrest, and his legitimacy" that have been haunting him since the post-election protests.
Westerners also need to realize that :"there is consensus in Iran on the nuclear issue and protecting Iran's rights under international treaties, [and] Ahmadinejad will have support in defending Iran's case. Right now," Majd writes, the Iranian president's "argument that Iran is not in violation of its obligations will play well to many Iranians."
However, Majd does think that extreme unilateral sanctions could undermine any advantages that Ahmadinejad draws from the nuclear news, writing that "if further sanctions become inevitable...it's hard to say at this point whether Ahmadinejad will lose some of the support he has for taking a hard line on the nuclear question."
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
Is it "perverseness," the "death drive," or something else?
A growing body of research shows promising signs that the keto diet might be able to improve mental health.
- The keto diet is known to be an effective tool for weight loss, however its effects on mental health remain largely unclear.
- Recent studies suggests that the keto diet might be an effective tool for treating depression, and clearing up so-called "brain fog," though scientists caution more research is necessary before it can be recommended as a treatment.
- Any experiments with the keto diet are best done in conjunction with a doctor, considering some people face problems when transitioning to the low-carb diet.
It's up to us humans to re-humanize our world. An economy that prioritizes growth and profits over humanity has led to digital platforms that "strip the topsoil" of human behavior, whole industries, and the planet, giving less and less back. And only we can save us.
- It's an all-hands-on-deck moment in the arc of civilization.
- Everyone has a choice: Do you want to try to earn enough money to insulate yourself from the world you're creating— or do you want to make the world a place you don't have to insulate yourself from?
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.