Editor's Choice of Top 10 Videos of 2009
The shift of a mere apostrophe by a single letter can make all the difference. We're referring here not to the "Editors' Choice" videos that are highlighted at the top right of this Web page—the favorite videos of Big Think staffers—but to the clips that piqued the interest and imagination of one staffer in particular, Paul Hoffman, our editorial chairman. In compiling his 10 "must-watch" videos, he avoided duplicating any ones that were on our just-published list of the 10 most popular videos in 2009. Not that Paul doesn't share your interest in health, wealth, and happiness, or your enthusiasm for Ricky Gervais and Stephen Fry. It's just that we caught him in a contemplative mood. If you have a chance to put together a list of your own Big Think favorites, please share it with us. Here, in no particular order, are Paul's choices:
Are university safe spaces killing intellectual growth?
Our experience of time may be blinding us to its true nature, say scientists.
- Time may not be passing at all, says the Block Universe Theory.
- Time travel may be possible.
- Your perception of time is likely relative to you and limited.
From questionable shipwrecks to outright attacks, they clearly don't want to be bothered.
- Many have tried to contact the Sentinelese, to write about them, or otherwise.
- But the inhabitants of the 23 square mile island in the Bay of Bengal don't want anything to do with the outside world.
- Their numbers are unknown, but either 40 or 500 remain.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.