Legendary reporter Carl Bernstein stopped by Big Think's offices this afternoon for a video interview to talk about the legacy of Watergate, the state of investigative journalism today, and how the government continues to fail the American public. Bernstein spoke about what it was like to have such a major success so early in his journalism career, and revealed the misgivings he had when Mark Felt finally revealed himself to be the anonymous source Deep Throat in 2005. Bernstein also said that the U.S. should reinstate the draft and require young people to perform some kind of public service, saying that such a draft would certainly have kept us from going to war in Iraq and Afghanistan.
If you want to be notified when our video interview with Carl Bernstein is posted, please subscribe to the What's New at Big Think RSS feed.
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
It's one factor that can help explain the religiosity gap.
- Sociologists have long observed a gap between the religiosity of men and women.
She met mere mortals with and without the Vatican's approval.
- For centuries, the Virgin Mary has appeared to the faithful, requesting devotion and promising comfort.
- These maps show the geography of Marian apparitions – the handful approved by the Vatican, and many others.
- Historically, Europe is where most apparitions have been reported, but the U.S. is pretty fertile ground too.
A NASA astronomer explains how astronauts dispose of their, uh, dark matter.
- When nature calls in micro-gravity, astronauts must answer. Space agencies have developed suction-based toilets – with a camera built in to ensure all the waste is contained before "flushing".
- Yes, there have been floaters in space. The early days of space exploration were a learning curve!
- Amazingly, you don't need gravity to digest food. Peristalsis, the process by which your throat and intestines squeeze themselves, actually moves food and water through your digestive system without gravity at all.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.