Steve Abrams, the owner of the New York City staple Magnolia Cupcakes just stopped by the office for an interview. While he didn't bring any treats, he did offer up a VIP card that will let me skip the line at any Magnolia location through 2011. I think I'll use it at the Bleecker Street location, where it's most crowded.
We chatted for an hour about the challenges of taking over a business (he bought Magnolia only a few years back) that has already established so much brand equity. Abrams made a lot of changes and found out that the little hole-in-the-wall could increase its profit by 20 percent, just by simple counting measures. Look out for the interview, which should go live next week.
- Patients from low-income neighborhoods are most at risk of negative health impacts.
- Unfortunately, many disparate factors are erasing the traditional Bajau way of life.
- Fewer than 50 people worldwide have 'golden blood' — or Rh-null.
- Blood is considered Rh-null if it lacks all of the 61 possible antigens in the Rh system.
- It's also very dangerous to live with this blood type, as so few people have it.
An innovation may lead to lifelike evolving machines.
- Scientists at Cornell University devise a material with 3 key traits of life.
- The goal for the researchers is not to create life but lifelike machines.
- The researchers were able to program metabolism into the material's DNA.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.