Thomas Hampson is a large man, with even bigger ideas. He stopped by Big Think to talk about his craft, as well as the current state of classical music. From remembering a childhood of singing and dancing, to his first operatic performance in Hansel and Gretel, Hampson let Big Think in on a few of his important experiences growing up. A champion of the American song, Hampson explained what that actually means, linking poetry and music together. He even talked about those days that he would rather not hear anything, since music has become something that constantly surrounds us.
- The meaning of the word 'confidence' seems obvious. But it's not the same as self-esteem.
- Confidence isn't just a feeling on your inside. It comes from taking action in the world.
- Join Big Think Edge today and learn how to achieve more confidence when and where it really matters.
The team caught a glimpse of a process that takes 18,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 years.
- In Italy, a team of scientists is using a highly sophisticated detector to hunt for dark matter.
- The research raises many ethical questions and puts to the test our current understanding of death.
What's dead may never die, it seems
An ethical gray matter
The dilemma is unprecedented.
Setting new boundaries
Some back story
A Dunbar Correlation
Professor Dunbar's response:
Friendship, kinship and limitations
Gray matter matters
There is an eclectic list of reasons why compassion may collapse, irrespective of sheer numbers:
In the end
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.