The Timeless Appeal of a Tech Company With No Revenues
Getting offered $500 million for a company that doesn't even have a revenue stream would seem like a pretty good deal especially in a bad economy. But it wasn't good enough for the Twitter team who remain confident that no profit is the new profit.
Hedge fund mogul and Facebook super investor Peter Thiel recently talked to Business Week about the failed deal. He said that Twitter was not content with the cash-stock combination package offered by Facebook for the micro-blogging site. Twitter prefered an open-market valuation of Facebook stock, a notoriously speculative area that has already caused ruffles with Microsoft. Thiel himself admits offering Facebook stock in these kinds of deals "will either turn out to be a great strategy or a terrible strategy."
As the recession atrophies the value of tech stock, assessing the worth of companies with low or no revenue streams, no matter how high their cosmetic value, will become a trickier issue. Taking the long view may sound like a good idea, but technologies change during economic crises and unless the world is still twittering in two years, that $500 will have looked pretty sweet in retrospect.
Send me your comments, questions and any further ideas you have for redetermining valuation of non-revenue based companies to me at email@example.com.
- The meaning of the word 'confidence' seems obvious. But it's not the same as self-esteem.
- Confidence isn't just a feeling on your inside. It comes from taking action in the world.
- Join Big Think Edge today and learn how to achieve more confidence when and where it really matters.
- Prejudice is typically perpetrated against 'the other', i.e. a group outside our own.
- But ageism is prejudice against ourselves — at least, the people we will (hopefully!) become.
- Different generations needs to cooperate now more than ever to solve global problems.
The controversial herbicide is everywhere, apparently.
- U.S. PIRG tested 20 beers and wines, including organics, and found Roundup's active ingredient in almost all of them.
- A jury on August 2018 awarded a non-Hodgkin's lymphoma victim $289 million in Roundup damages.
- Bayer/Monsanto says Roundup is totally safe. Others disagree.
The team caught a glimpse of a process that takes 18,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 years.
- In Italy, a team of scientists is using a highly sophisticated detector to hunt for dark matter.
- The team observed an ultra-rare particle interaction that reveals the half-life of a xenon-124 atom to be 18 sextillion years.
- The half-life of a process is how long it takes for half of the radioactive nuclei present in a sample to decay.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.