The Shadowy World of Secret Prisons
Though Obama has moved to close secret CIA prison facilities along with Guantanamo, he may have some Bush-era clandestine activities to clean up in Algeria.
El Wattan, Algiers' largest French-language newspaper, recently broke the story that Algiers CIA station chief Andrew Warren may have drugged and raped women held as Al Quaeda suspects at the US embassy last year. If the allegations prove true, it could be one further Abu Gharaib-like incident to inflame the Arab street just when the new president is trying to pacify it.
Malcolm Gladwell teaches "Get over yourself and get to work" for Big Think Edge.
- Learn to recognize failure and know the big difference between panicking and choking.
- At Big Think Edge, Malcolm Gladwell teaches how to check your inner critic and get clear on what failure is.
Do you have a magnetic compass in your head?
A new study, led by psychologist Jean Twenge, points to the screen as the problem.
- In a new study, adolescents and young adults are experiencing increased rates of depression and suicide attempts.
- The data cover the years 2005–2017, tracking perfectly with the introduction of the iPhone and widespread dissemination of smartphones.
- Interestingly, the highest increase in depressive incidents was among individuals in the top income bracket.
- The ban will surely shape future conversations about gun control in the U.S.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.