The New Family Structure
I have read a series of articles as of late that discusses the "phenomenon" of women choosing to have children out of "wedlock". It does seem that women are truly exercising their reproductive rights and opting to have children without having a male partner involved. It seems to me that there are no boundaries left to prevent women from making the life they wish to have. They can plan careers, have families, not have families, whatever they choose. If I were a little cynical I would say that men are becoming less necessary within society. With the exception of their sperm (and perhaps companionship) men, as a gender, aren't really required for the health and welfare of modern society. Or are they? The questions I pose are these: Are men still a vital and valid contributor to our species and society? In light of current science and women's independence how do men fit into modern society and future society? What becomes of the children of women who choose other avenues of conception? How will they feel about themselves? How will they view men? Will there be a sense of identity loss because they only know one parent? How many children can one sperm donor "father"? Is this proof that women can exist without the assistance of men? Will this make men more irresponsible? Will this create a backlash? Will politicians finally give women the attention and assistance they need to raise the future? What is the ulitimate affect on the power struggle between the genders? I'd love to hear some thoughts.
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
Despite incredible economic growth, it is not necessarily an investor's paradise.
- China's stock market is just 27 years old. It's economy has grown 30x over that time.
- Imagine if you had invested early and gotten in on the ground floor.
- Actually, you would have lost money. Here's how that's possible.
The controversy around the Torah codes gets a new life.
- Mathematicians claim to see a predictive pattern in the ancient Torah texts.
- The code is revealed by a method found with special computer software.
- Some events described by reading the code took place after the code was written.
- Facebook and Google began as companies with supposedly noble purposes.
- But pressure to return value to shareholders came at the expense of their own users.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.