The Mind is a Unique Machine that Thinks by Processing Physical Signals
Introspection by drawing a rough analogy to computers reveals that the human mind, created by evolution, is a unique biophysical machine performing thinking by processing coded discrete batches of natural electrochemical signals to serve as the control center of the body or person, enabling it to circulate maximally autonomously in the environmentin various societies. It follows internal instructions equivalent to computer programs, the instincts being operating systems and mental application programs being constantly updated by inputs from the environment. All information is physical, in the form of those signals and the analog sound waves and light photons for human communication and digital electromagnetic pulses for computers. These facts have major ramifications for information professionals, particularly lawyers and mental health therapists. This leaves no room for direct supranatural influence on human affairs but merely through misconceptions within the mind.
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
For Damien Echols, tattoos are part of his existential armor.
- In prison Damien Echols was known by his number SK931, not his name, and had his hair sheared off. Stripped of his identity, the only thing he had left was his skin.
- This is why he began tattooing things that are meaningful to him — to carry a "suit of armor" made up the images of the people and things that have significance to him, from his friends to talismans.
- Echols believes that all places are imbued with divinity: "If you interact with New York City as if there's an intelligence behind... then it will behave towards you the same way.".
She met mere mortals with and without the Vatican's approval.
- For centuries, the Virgin Mary has appeared to the faithful, requesting devotion and promising comfort.
- These maps show the geography of Marian apparitions – the handful approved by the Vatican, and many others.
- Historically, Europe is where most apparitions have been reported, but the U.S. is pretty fertile ground too.
Even some teachers suffer from anxiety about math.
I teach people how to teach math, and I've been working in this field for 30 years. Across those decades, I've met many people who suffer from varying degrees of math trauma – a form of debilitating mental shutdown when it comes to doing mathematics.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.