The Highs and Lows of Intraoffice Social Networking
If managers are questioning the value of social networking on company time—because it's just another profit-draining distraction—MIT and IBM Research have some news that could change their minds.
A study showed that workers at IBM who IM, share photos or friend their higher-ups generate $588 more per month on average. Though that sounds like a win-win reason to spend more time communicating with management, there are the pitfalls. Workers who communicate with their superiors can open the floodgates to a deluge of directives and suggestions. As Business Week reports, employees can face "conflicting demands from different managers" resulting in an organizational scenario where there are "too many cooks in the kitchen."
Nevertheless, initiatives like IBM Research's Center for Social Software are banking on increasing demand for companies requesting their own dedicated social networks. One such network is Lotus Connection, a program created in 2007 for organizations big and small spearheaded by Social Networking Product Manager Chris Lamb.
Lamb told Big Think the key advantages that dedicated platforms like Lotus have over traditional ones are privacy and security; integration with a company's existing communications technologies; and efficiency by offering instant collaboration environments to complete a task. Wow. What's a wired employee to do?
A federal judge ruled that the Trump administration likely violated the reporter's Fifth Amendment rights when it stripped his press credentials earlier this month.
- Acosta will be allowed to return to the White House on Friday.
- The judge described the ruling as narrow, and didn't rule one way or the other on violations of the First Amendment.
- The case is still open, and the administration may choose to appeal the ruling.
Progressive America would be half as big, but twice as populated as its conservative twin.
- America's two political tribes have consolidated into 'red' and 'blue' nations, with seemingly irreconcilable differences.
- Perhaps the best way to stop the infighting is to go for a divorce and give the two nations a country each
- Based on the UN's partition plan for Israel/Palestine, this proposal provides territorial contiguity and sea access to both 'red' and 'blue' America
The definition of a kilogram will now be fixed to Planck's constant, a fundamental part of quantum physics.
- The new definition of a kilogram is based on a physical constant in quantum physics.
- Unlike the current definition of a kilogram, this measurement will never change.
- Scientists also voted to update the definitions of several other measurements in physics.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.