The book of Joshua is pretty much a book of god sanctioned and explicitly aided genocide. The Israelites cross the Jordan and wipe out the cities of Canaan and destroy the people of the plains. There are horrible scenes where men women and children are put to the sword or taken into slavery. Not only that but oxen and asses slain and the earth salted, the various kings are humiliated and then hung on trees to rot. The land is raped and pillaged on the instructions and with the direct aid of god. This can be justified (and has been); the Israelites are the tool of gods vengeance for some unspecified sin or some such. However just think what committing this act of genocide must have done to the minds of the men that did it. Imagine being part of that slaughter. He could have just laid waste to the land and left it clean for the Israelites and conducted the punishment himself with a natural disaster or some such, but instead he turned men into tools of genocide. This is difficult to reconcile with any kind of loving god as he is described in the gospels. Are the Christians out there comfortable with this god?
- The EAST reactor was able to heat hydrogen to temperatures exceeding 100 million degrees Celsius.
- Nuclear fusion could someday provide the planet with a virtually limitless supply of clean energy.
Giving our solar system a "slap in the face."
- A stream of galactic debris is hurtling at us, pulling dark matter along with it
- It's traveling so quickly it's been described as a hurricane of dark matter
- Scientists are excited to set their particle detectors at the onslffaught
- Women and nonwhite candidates made record gains in the 2018 midterms.
- In total, almost half of the newly elected Congressional representatives are not white men.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.