Complete Befuddlement Seizes Me
Why should we differentiate between a blog, micro-blog, "idea", macro-blog, and macaroni and cheese? Really, we should just say "thing".
I am completely confused.
At the suggestion of a friend, I have come to this site expecting "big" things. But all I find is a confusing interface, an extremely convoluted nomenclature (idea and blog are used in a confusingly interchangeable way here), and really no idea whatsoever that there are other people using this website.
Even in trying to post this idea... Why would you go to a separate page to post one line of text? Sure this box can be expanded (in Safari, at least), but the default size suggests that one line is expected. If I really wanted to post a one line something, I'm going to use Twitter. I'm not going to take the time to use this to post an image, either... it's too much work for something so insubstantial! Save yourselves some development / programming resources and just put a "link to picassa / flickr album" box.
By the way, I discovered a bug in the system. If you visit this address multiple times:
http://bigthink.com/users/YOURUSERNAME/favorites/AFAVORITEUSERNAME/create?type=user, you'll show up in their favorites list with the same frequency. I made myself appear in a user's following list around 7 times before I stopped following to remove them all.
There's some potential here, and although I am completely under qualified as an outsider, I am a user and have expectations that are definitely lacking here.
Upvote/downvote each of the videos below!
As you vote, keep in mind that we are looking for a winner with the most engaging social venture pitch - an idea you would want to invest in.
Here are 7 often-overlooked World Heritage Sites, each with its own history.
- UNESCO World Heritage Sites are locations of high value to humanity, either for their cultural, historical, or natural significance.
- Some are even designated as World Heritage Sites because humans don't go there at all, while others have felt the effects of too much human influence.
- These 7 UNESCO World Heritage Sites each represent an overlooked or at-risk facet of humanity's collective cultural heritage.
Famous physicists like Richard Feynman think 137 holds the answers to the Universe.
- The fine structure constant has mystified scientists since the 1800s.
- The number 1/137 might hold the clues to the Grand Unified Theory.
- Relativity, electromagnetism and quantum mechanics are unified by the number.
A new method promises to capture an elusive dark world particle.
- Scientists working on the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) devised a method for trapping dark matter particles.
- Dark matter is estimated to take up 26.8% of all matter in the Universe.
- The researchers will be able to try their approach in 2021, when the LHC goes back online.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.